View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Since I have been on SSDI I have a certain amount I allocate for food each month and that's it. I have to stay within that allotment. I use coupons but before any shopping trip I take inventory of what I already have and what I'm going to need. I also make up menus to follow that allow for leftovers.

Another trick that works really well is the "cash only" rule. I take a certain amount of cash out for groceries, gas, etc. and that's all I have to work with. It really helps to avoid the impulse buys at the grocery since I know I only have a certain amount of cash to spend. I leave my debit card at home locked up in the safe.

I have not used my credit card at all in over a year. I only have one now and that is used only for emergencies. It stays locked in the safe also. I really don't use credit at all but I've found that it's just about impossible to not have at least one. If it is used it's paid off the same month.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (10-09-2008), Koala77 (10-09-2008), SallyC (10-09-2008)