View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 08:24 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Help Please - Lumbar Puncture (Spinal Tap) Headache

Hi

I had a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) on 24th December and have had a severe headache ever since, meaning I've spent most of my days in bed as they only time I don't have the headache is when I lie down on my right side in a foetal position, head straight (the same position the lumbar puncture was done in). I also generally haven't been able listen to, watch anything or read anything as this makes the headache worse.

Has anyone got any tips for getting over this?

Things I've tried:

Meds: Cocodamol, Dihydracodeine, Paracetamol 1000mg, Dicoflex
Success: Didn't do anything

Other:
Caffeine (my husband found this as a remedy on google)
Success: Made it bearable to keep my head upright

Acupressure points (manutally plus using an acupoint)
Success: Some relief - able to stay up for a few hours

Novasonic Intrasound machine
Success: Able to eat a sandwich and get onto this forum... headache starting again though as I use the PC.

Any help very gratefully received... I will ask my husband to look out for any replies.

Thank you very, very much for any help you can give.

Sue

UPDATE 29th DECEMBER:
Having perservered with the Novasonic (used it 5 or 6 times yesterday), have woken up today with a mild headache, that's treatable with simple cocodamol.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE
If any of you are having a lumbar puncture test, remember to drink lots of fluids afterwards as this often stops the headached. If, like me, you do get a severe headache afterwards try caffeine and then if this doesn't work sufficient get a novasonic drug frree pain relief tool... it worked for me. I had completely forgotten about it... when the headache had lasted so long, my husband remembered that his late mother had tried some pain alternative tools (an acupoint acupressure tool and a novasonic) and he retrieved them from our garage - receipts from 1987 in tact!) I couldn't believe it when I looked it up this morning and they are still making them ... I have listed the URL below in case it helps anyone:

http://www.novasonic-therapy.co.uk/

Happy 2009

Last edited by susanjpullen; 12-29-2008 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Update
susanjpullen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote