View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Hello ES Lady

I am sorry to hear your long travels with pain and limitations. I hope that with surgery you can reduce symptoms and have a better quality of life. The cervical issues were a battle itself.

Why does TOS seem to hit the family members that so many often depend on?

My daughter had a transaxillary, both under the arm, then turned over of the finish to do the detching of the rib and sclenectomy from the collar bone. She had a second surgery to clean up scar matter about 18 months later, along the collar bone.

The one thing that helped was having the cheap recliner I bought at second hand store, and bag of ice. Keep up with meds, don't miss a dose. Keep pillows around to support your arms while sitting. Try not to drive for the two weeks, it is the anesthesia and the turning of the head that is the killer.

Try to baby yourself, prepackaged foods, frozen, or make extra now and freeze so no cooking.

I did see you note, heavy PT? It seems odd to have this, the site needs time to heal, not be overworked as it will inflame the nerves sensitive from surgery.
A good commited person, and OT in the hospital can show you what to do at home for range of motion. It should not over stretch, should not hurt, sure be tendar, but cry in pain doing motions ever, should be only using fingers to climb the wall a bit, reaching up and out for range,

I would not think anything on the order of therabands, handbikes, or active T would be the course. I guess it can depend on the surgeon. But, the PT does not make your recovery you do. Listen to your body, don't baby it, but don't over do. Know your limits.

Blue ice packs or bagged peas are handy for recovery too. Keep them on the incision. using a soft ball to squeeze.
Keep the blowing maching going to. Often the lung is collapsed so the surgeon does not injure it. The breathing keep you from having lung problems as pneunomia.

By two weeks my daughter did very well. After a week to ten days she could start to do her hair but I did it to avoid the strain, as it was waist length. She started to drive, but turning the ehad was a trigger of an ouchie, you had cervical so you know how it can remind you that you are healing. But, Take it real slow, and listen carefully to not injure the area.I mention taht as you say you are a caregiver, and lifting could put strain on the surgical site and healing of the area.

Depending on how much they have to do, your recovery should be less painful then the cervical, I only say that as there should be more mobility and no hardware left behind. the scar becomes thin and a necklace should cover it.
Are you having surgery on the east coast? I am in PA.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Dianne
DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote